Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's Potty Time!

Today was the first day in awhile that we had nothing to do. Last night we went to Donna ,Todd and Cole's house with some other friends (Patti, Emily and Bryan/ Courtney, Trent and Elise/ Pam and Jason) to watch the LSU game. Granted I am so not an LSU fan, but Todd and Patti went there and it was a pretty big game, so it was fun. It was especially great since Chip was able to come (he got there late, but still got there) so I got to prove to my friends that I really do have a husband :) and he got to meet and hang out with everyone. It was also great because Lily was comfortable with everyone and went upstairs to the playroom and played nicely without having to have me near by! So while Chip was up in the media room with the guys watching the game and Lily was up in the playroom with the kiddos, I got to hang out downstairs with the girls!! It was awesome and I hope to do it again soon!

But today and tomorrow we have no plans. I was hoping to go to the Pumpkin Patch tomorrow, but it is a school holiday and it has been cold and wet for the past 4 days. Just constantly misty, so nothing is dry and I am assuming the patch is wet and muddy. Plus Chip has 2 tests this week and really needs to spend tomorrow studying. So, the point I am trying to make is that with 2 full days and nothing planned we are taking off the diaper and going to the potty!!

I'm still not super excited. I like being able to do things and go out without a zillion dirty trips to public restrooms. And I like to keep my baby my baby. I am kinda against all milestones that prove she is growing up! :) But I can't put it off forever, so here we go . . .

I didn't want to use pull-ups because I wanted to her know when she was having an accident and pull-ups are basically just less absorbent diapers. But instead of going commando, I just put on the thin Elmo and Princess panties I had bought at Target. The first time I put her on the toilet and she went, which was great. But then less than 10 minutes later she had an accident. Luckily she was in the kitchen, so clean up was easy. But it scared her. It is almost like she can't tell when she has to pee, because every time she does she is freaked out and surprised! I thought by waiting until she was a little older, that part would be easier. So I wanted to get her to the bathroom before she had to go, but I also wanted her to have a couple accidents, so she would know what it felt like. We ended up having 2 more accidents this morning, but also had 5 pees on the potty and a poo!! So I am calling it a success so far!! She is napping now in a diaper; since she is still in her crib, night training will come much later. But it was kinda sweet, after her second accident, she started crying and said that she didn't want to have an accident in her bed and she was scared. I told her she could have a diaper in her bed and she said "Oh, Ok! That will work!" and then asked if it was time to go to bed because she wanted a diaper! :) However, by the time we did go up for a nap and I put her in a diaper (did NOT want an accident in my bed while we did our normal going to bed ritual), she said she had to pee again and we took off the diaper and she went. So that was great!!

Puppy had to take a potty break too. Puppy is currently drying off, since she didn't realize how low his tail hung and it ended up in the water.
This is her actual smile -- not a blink from the flash. She is a cheese head.


At first she didn't want to sit and wait, she just wanted to get up so I got her a new Playhouse Disney magazine to read and she was happy.

Wash, wash, wash your hands . . . Playing on the couch on top of her towel. I made her sit on the towel all morning to help with any accident cleanup. Thankfully all 3 accidents were either in the kitchen or bathroom, so I didn't have to use the Resolve.

These are our reward stickers. I got them at the Target $1 Spot and they are perfect for this. She gets one little one for every pee. . . .

and a big one for poo!

I was going to make a chart for the stickers, but then realized that she wouldn't care about days of the week or anything -- so she can just stick her stickers wherever. She also had to help me make her page, I am assuming you can tell her input. It already has quite a few stickers and is up on the fridge.

1 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome job Mama! A very successful 1st official day. The night potty training will come in good time. Jack has been potty trained since just a month or two after he turned two (I was in a hurry with Sam on the way) but we are just now making progress on the bedtime potty training.