Saturday, August 9, 2008

It's A Big World Afterall

Last night I was bored waiting for Chip to get home from work and I found myself watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I am not a huge fan of the Olympic games. I appreciate the notion of the whole world coming together and all that, but all in all, the events kinda bore me. Chip on the other hand (being the sports fanatic he is) loves watching the games. So last night while Lily was pausing and un-pausing the CD I brought out yesterday morning (she just turns the music on and off at random) I had the Opening Ceremony on the TV. It was pretty cool. I think China did a great job and I loved the large LED floor that looked like a scroll, that was awesome. But what was the most fascinating to me, and the most boring at the same time was watching the athletes come out from all the different countries. Yes, it was tedious, yet I couldn't stop watching. I became obsessed at what each country designed as their Opening Ceremony outfits. I thought ours were ugly (white pants??). I am assuming by the extra large Ralph Lauren Polo logo on the blazer that they were designed by Ralph Lauren (just a guess). And whose idea was it to wear those hats? Samuel L Jackson?? Incase you missed it last night, here is a picture of my least favorite athlete (the only close up picture I could find):




Now I consider myself to be somewhat intelligenet. I love maps and geography. I can't travel enough and have been fortunate to travel all over the world. So I was amazed at how many countries I had never heard of! At lot of them were the new "stans" -- countries that broke off from the Soviet Union. And some were Afrian countries that may have been renamed recently due to political issues. A lot were small island countries with populations under 100,000. But still I was shocked. I could see if I was unfamiliar with one or two, but there were way more than that! Apparently, I am not nearly as well traveled as I thought. I have only seen 10% of the world. That is nothing! I've hardly made a dent! If you don't get new blogs from me in the near future, it would be safe to assume that Lily and I are out exploring Nauru!











2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey cool map! I know, i dvr-ed the Opening Ceremonies b/c I want the boys to watch it. Spencer has a fascination with China and "China People". One day I want to travel, too!!!!

Anonymous said...

But you have to admit that Kobe looks cute in that hat. On a different note, Scott did a Olympic themed event at church awhile back and his country was Nauru. Before you book your itinerary...talk to Scott:)