Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lily's 1st Barrette . . .

Or should I say, Lily’s first barrette that lasted more than 5 seconds on her head. I have always been a little weary of putting barrettes or rubber bands in Lily's hair because I was afraid she would eat and choke on them once she ripped them off her head (which is usually what occurs). Headbands presented the same sort of issues, what if she strangled herself? Yes, maybe I am crazy but the other day she did get wrapped up in an elastic headband of mine and snapped it back like a huge rubber band right in the face. Needless to say, she is not playing with my headbands anymore. So I just let her hair be free and enjoy the baby mullet that she has going on. I actually think it is pretty cute. But her bangs are getting long again and I am realizing that if I keep cutting the bangs she has, she is always going to have a mullet and really thick bangs. It may be cute now, but probably not in a year or so. So yesterday while we were at the market I saw the Goody StayPut barrettes with a little rubber core inside so they don't slide out as easy. Plus they are larger than other barrettes, so while still a choking hazard (says so right on the package) hopefully not as likely. I decided to give them a try and put one in her hair right there in the store. To my surprise she did not try to take it out immediately. She felt it and said "head, hair." I told her she looked pretty and to leave it alone and I think she actually listened to me. So when we were ready to check out and she still had it on her head I figured I better buy the pack! It also came with rubber bands, but I am afraid of ripping out hair when trying to get them out and I want to ease into the hair accessories -- not traumatize her.

Here are pictures and her new barrette. She wore it for awhile after we got home, but then wanted it out. I put it in again this morning, but it didn't last as long and then I caught her putting it in her mouth. So we'll work on this and see how it goes . . . she may be the coolest kid in preschool with a mullet afterall! :)

Just home from the market -- she still has chocolate on her face from the cookie sample we got in the bakery section!


The hair-do is not very neat, but it is more about getting use to the barrette on her head more than anything else at this point. And I didn't want to keep playing with it trying to make it perfect because I know that would just piss her off.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last picture is too adorable. It makes me miss her so much. Tell her I said hello!

Unknown said...

OMG - Alyson wore that shirt to school today - LOL! She is getting so big and looking more like you!